Massage Therapy (050)
Certificate of Achievement
Admission to the Massage Therapy Program is selective. A special application packet, available from the Admissions Office, is required. Applications will be made available in January and are due no later than July 13th for the Fall semester start.
The Massage Therapy Program provides a comprehensive academically-based education that serves the community by preparing the graduate for immediate employment as a massage therapist.
The massage therapist graduate is prepared to demonstrate competence by displaying a professional attitude, ethical conduct, and appropriate communication.
Butler County Community College is designated as an assigned school for Nationally Certified Massage Therapist and Bodyworks (NCBTMB).
Completion of the program qualifies the graduate to sit for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx). Completion of the program will also provide the education requirement needed for graduates to later pursue the advanced credential certification through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB).
Because certification and licensing requirements vary from state to state, students who plan to relocate after graduation are encouraged to verify these requirements in states other than Pennsylvania.
A criminal record may affect a graduate’s ability to take the licensure examination or obtain state licensure. A majority of the states require a license to practice massage therapy. Applicants must submit a criminal background check for acceptance into the program.
Criteria of Admission
This program is designed to prepare individuals for a health career as a massage therapist. Graduates will complete a course study that is 630 clock hours of curriculum content including, but not limited to anatomy and physiology, pathology, treatment techniques, protocols following the standards of massage practice, ethics, communication skills, and business practices.
- 2.5 minimum high school or college GPA. College GPA is utilized if 12+ college level credits completed at the time of application review.
- High School Biology or BIOL 115, BIOL 101, or BIOL 131 completed with a minumum grade of “C” within the last 10 years.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have completed BIOL 115 or BIOL 131.
- Applicants must have a grade of “C” or better in all Massage Therapy Program courses.
- Successful completion of the American Heart Association cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for the healthcare provider or the American Red Cross Basic Life Support for the Professional Rescuer.
- Act 34, PA State Police Criminal History and Act 151, PA Child Abuse History Clearance. All accepted students will receive clearance forms upon admission into the program. Clearance must be obtained before the start of fall classes.
This academically-based program prepares the graduate for employment as a massage therapist. The Program focuses on massage theory, techniques, and practice.
The Massage Therapy course work must be taken in sequence indicated.