BC3 Academic Catalog: 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Medical Coding and Billing Specialist, Certificate
Medical Coding and Billing Specialist (055)
Certificate of Achievement
Medical Coding practitioners transform verbal descriptions of disease, injury and procedures into numerical designations for reimbursement of healthcare insurance claims and to maintain accurate medical statistics. A Medical Coding Specialist is familiar with human anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, medical billing procedures, medical insurance, medical ethics, and coding classification systems. Graduates of this certificate program may seek employment as a coder in insurance companies, research facilities, group and individual practices, nursing homes, home healthcare services, durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers, and outpatient care centers. Upon completion of the certificate program, graduates are prepared for entry level work and are eligible to take the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) examination.
The student/graduate will be able to:
- Perform administrative procedures in an ambulatory health care setting.
- Perform appropriate billing and reimbursement procedures in an ethical and professional manner.
- Communicate effectively in the health care environment.
- Acquire professional certification.(i.e. Certified Professional Coder [CPC], Certified Coding Specialist [CCS]).
- Apply diagnoses and procedural coding systems from medical documentation.