BC3 Academic Catalog: 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Measurement Science/Metrology Technology, A.A.S.
Measurement Science/Metrology Technology (320)
Associate in Applied Science Degree
Metrology is a unique, nationally recognized, technology program designed to give the student a solid foundation in various types of measurement techniques and processes. It is a two-year career program developed to prepare metrology personnel for any area of industry where optical, electrical, chemical, dimensional, biomedical, and mechanical measurements are performed. This program emphasizes the traceability of measurements, instrument calibration, precise laboratory procedures, and the theoretical aspects of experimentation. Typical employment opportunities are with research and calibration laboratories, government agencies, and private industries. This is a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) program.
The student/graduate will be able to:
- Present and analyze experimental/test data in written form and by oral presentation.
- Make accurate and precise dimensional and physical measurements.
- Make accurate and precise electrical measurements.
- Make accurate and precise chemical measurements.
- Calculate Test Uncertainty Ratios (TURs) - defined as the uncertainty of the unit under test to that of the standard/calibrator.
- Apply critical and analytical thinking skills in problem solving situations.