Massage Therapy (050)
Certificate of Achievement
Admission to the Massage Therapy Program is selective. A special application packet, available from the Admissions Office, is required. Applications are reviewed beginning in February until the class is filled. Completed applications are reviewed in the order they are received.
The Massage Therapy Program provides a comprehensive academically-based education that serves the community by preparing the graduate for immediate employment as a massage therapist.
The massage therapist graduate is prepared to demonstrate competence by displaying a professional attitude, ethical conduct, and appropriate communication.
Butler County Community College is designated as an assigned school for Nationally Certified Massage Therapist and Bodyworks (NCBTMB).
Completion of the program qualifies the graduate to sit for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx). Completion of the program will also provide the education requirement needed for graduates to later pursue the advanced credential certification through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB).
Because certification and licensing requirements vary from state to state, students who plan to relocate after graduation are encouraged to verify these requirements in states other than Pennsylvania.
A criminal record may affect a graduate’s ability to take the licensure examination or obtain state licensure. A majority of the states require a license to practice massage therapy. Applicants must submit a criminal background check for acceptance into the program.
Criteria of Admission
This program is designed to prepare individuals for a health career as a massage therapist. Graduates will complete a course study that is 630 clock hours of curriculum content including, but not limited to anatomy and physiology, pathology, treatment techniques, protocols following the standards of massage practice, ethics, communication skills, and business practices.
- Successful completion of 2.5 QPA high school or college GPA
- High School Biology or BIOL 115 or BIOL 101 with minimum grade of “C” within the last five years
- Preference will be given to applicants who have completed BIOL 115 or BIOL 131 with a “C”or better within the last 5 years
- Successful completion of the American Heart Association cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for the health care provider or the American Red Cross Basic Life Support for the Professional Rescuer.
- Act 34 PA State Police Criminal History and Act 151, PA Child Abuse History Clearance. All accepted students will receive clearance forms upon admission into the program. Clearance must be obtained before the start of classes.
- Applicants must have a grade of “C” or better in all Massage Therapy Program courses.
This academically-based program prepares the graduate for employment as a massage therapist. The Program focuses on massage theory, techniques, and practice.
The Massage Therapy course work must be taken in sequence indicated.